Joan Osborne discovers never-before-seen demos and live performances on ‘Radio Waves’
Joan Osborne releases a collection of unreleased demos and studio radio recordings titled Radio waves (Womanly Hips Records), released February 22, 2022.
The singer and songwriter unearthed recordings long lost after she canceled her tour due to the pandemic, following the release of her 12th album Troubles and conflicts. The 13 tracks of Radio waves are a collection of songs handpicked by Osborne, who has sifted through his archive of over 100 radio station performances, each serving as a time capsule of his 25-year career.
âMost of my life’s work is gone without a trace,â Osborne says. “I’ve made over 10 studio albums, but the vast majority of the songs I’ve sung hundreds and thousands of times in decades of touring the world have never been recorded.”
Radio waves covers a wide range of Osborne musical styles and features a 1995 single “Saint Teresa”, taken from a KCRW session in 1995, and ends with her rendition of “Everybody is a Star” by Sly and the Family Stone, played at KROQ in 2002.
Additional tracks include covers of “Make You Feel My Love” by Bob Dylan, “Love’s in Need of Love Today” by Stevie Wonder and deeper tracks like “Same Love That Made Me Laugh” by Bill Withers and “Real Love “by Toshi Reagon.
Radio waves list of tracks:
1. “Saint Teresa” (KCRW, 1995)
2. âMy love is aliveâ (KPRI, 2000)
3. “Dream of a little dream” (demo, 2005)
4. “How sweet” (RadioBremen, Germany, 2003)
5. âShake your hipsâ (WXPK, 2012)
6. “One of us” (DutchRadio, 2001)
7. “Real Love” (demo, 2006)
8. “Little savage” (KBCO, 2008)
9. “The same love that made me laugh” (Le Loft, SiriusXM, 2012)
10. âMake You Feel My Loveâ (Radio Bremen, Germany, 2002)
11. “Only you know and I know” (Le Loft – Sirius XM, 2012)
12. “Love needs love today” (Radio Bremen, Germany, 2002)
13. âEveryone is a starâ (KROQ, 2002)
Photo: Jess Fasano / All Eyes Media